When we started this whole thing a while back the idea was we'd give it a year, and see if we wanted to keep going. Basically we had decided that if sailing wasn't working for us as a family, then we'd sell the boat and put it down to experience.
Well, over a year has gone by, and our time in New Zealand is coming to an end soon, and we have all agreed that we're not done yet - we like this experience too much to stop. We will continue sailing. That begs the question where?
Talking it over, looking what is possible with the seasons, winds, hurricanes, and our own wants... well we haven't decided for sure.
We had talked about Hawaii as a possible destination, but research and thought has nixed that idea. It would take too long to get there, and there's not all that much there for cruisers. Oh, and the whole sailing to windward thing.
We could hang out in the South Pacific and head to safety in Australia or New Zealand come hurricane season. Or we could cross the Indian Ocean and keep going. That later idea sounds the most fun to us, and we're checking out a lot of things, but we're definitely leaning that way.
As our friend Paul says, our plans are cast in Jello. All that we know for sure is that we are leaving for Fiji in a few weeks. Once in Fiji our plans will firm up one way or another. It'll be exciting to be on the move again.
It's cold here in Northland lately - down to 42 degrees F the other morning. Time to head north soon. Aside for the sniffles and a strong desire for warmer weather, all are well on Madrona.
Hello to all our family and friends wherever you are. For folks we haven't met who found our blog somehow - hello; watch this space, things will be happening again soon. For anyone considering cruising with kids - I recommend it. Not always easy, but it has brought our family closer together.
So I've got to get back to work; can't leave N.Z. until my current contract is done, so so long for now. More soon.